Details — Click to read
self-carved, self-printed; signed in white at lower right, Kiyoshi Saito, with artist’s seal Kiyo, titled, dated and numbered in pencil on the bottom margin, SANPO-IN KYOTO, 1968, 47/100
17 7/8 by 23 1/2 in., 45.3 by 59.7 cm
The Sanpo-in (or Sanbo-in) Temple was founded in 1115 and reconstructed in 1598 under the patronage of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1537-1598) who designed its gardens and lavish interiors as a personal retreat, although he died shortly after the first stage of construction was completed. It is located within the large Daigo-ji complex and is famous for its surrounding gardens which feature approximately 800 stones arranged around a pond, many of which were brought from Hideyoshi’s private residence, Jurakudai. There is also a karesansui rock garden, and another comprised of moss and white sand.
Estate of Haruno Tsuruoka (daughter-in-law of the artist Tokutaro ‘Kakunen’ Tsuruoka)
Cleveland Museum of Art (clevelandart.org), acquisition no. 1985.429