Josef Eberz began his studies in 1901 in Munich with Franz Stuck and graduated in 1912 from the Stuttgart Art Academy as a master student of the color theorist Adolf Hölzel. Erberz’s style was equally influenced by Expressionism, Cubism, Futurism and Pittura Metafisica. These influences were reflected in a constructive image structure, dynamic composition and a strong, almost ecstatic coloring. In 1912, Eberz’s artistic ability contributed to his participation in the Sonderbund exhibition in Cologne, which is considered one of the most important exhibitions of the modernist era. The first church painting tasks sparked his interest in religious topics. In 1917 he moved to Munich, where he joined the “New Munich Secession” and was represented by the art dealer Hans Goltz. After traveling to Italy and receiving a scholarship in Rome, he took on orders for wall paintings in the 1920s and was represented with frescoes at the Glass Palace exhibitions. Eberz distinguished himself as a sought-after church painter and designer of mosaics and glass windows and taught as a professor at the Munich training workshops. Much of his work was destroyed during the Second World War. Josef Eberz died in 1942 as a “degenerate” artist.