Details — Click to read
Theodore Roussel (1847-1926), The Sign of the White Horse, Parson’s Green, etching, 1906, signed in pencil on the tab and inscribed “imp.” [also signed in the plate lower right] Reference: Hausberg 68, 14th state (of 14), from the total printing of about 60 impressions, about 30 in this state. In very good condition, on a laid paper, trimmed by the artist on the platemark with the tab, 4 7/8 x 3 1/4 inches, archival mounting.
A fine impression with exquisite detailing, printed in black ink with strong plate tone.
Roussel apparently perfected this plate through a series of 14 states, making small changes each time and generally printing two or three proofs before arriving at this definitive last state, in which he added diagonal shading to the right awning, and his signature to the plate. In accord with the custom of his mentor James Whistler he trimmed the print on the platemark except for the small tab at the bottom where he signed his name and wrote the letters imp, standing for the Latin impressit (indicating that he printed the impression personally).
Meg Hausberg, who wrote the catalogue raisonne for Roussel (and painstakingly documented each of the 14 states of The Sign!) wrote this note on The Sign: “The pub The White Horse was less than one hundred yards from Roussel’s home, Belfield House, on Parson’s Green in Fulham. Like Belfield House, which is now part of Lady Margaret School, the pub is still standing today. This is one of three etchings Roussel made depicting the local scene at Parson’s Green. In them, he exhibited an interest in the everyday life of the neighborhood similar to that portrayed in his earlier etchings of Chelsea Embankment and its environs.”