Hans Grudzinski Biography
(Novi Vrbas, Iugoslavia, now Sérvia 1921 – Maua, Brazil,1986)
Architect and artist (printmaking, drawing and painting)
He graduated as an architect in 1940. In 1947, he moved to Brazil, settling in Maua, Sao Paulo. Between 1954 and 1956, he studied painting at the Associacao Paulista de Belas Artes, and in 1959 he studied graphic arts at Fundação Armando Alvares Penteado (Faap). In the same year, he started to study printmaking with Livio Abramo (1903-1992) at Estudio Gravura, in Sao Paulo, where he took part in a group show in 1961. In 1963, he exhibited at the 1st American Printmaking Biennial, in Santiago, Chile. In 1966, he was awarded a gold medal at the 2nd Contemporary Art Salon in Campinas, at the Jose Pancetti Museum of Contemporary Art (MACC). He won a prize at the Salao Paulista de Arte Moderna and participated in the 9th Bienal de Sao Paulo, in 1967. The following year, he won a silver medal in graphic arts at the Salao de Arte Contemporanea de Sao Caetano do Sul, Sao Paulo. He wins the State Council of Culture award at the 1st Sao Paulo Contemporary Art Salon, in 1969. In 1970, he is awarded for his body of work at the Religious Brazilian Art Salon in Londrina, Parana. In Sao Paulo, he exhibited in solo exhibitions at the Sao Luis galleries, in 1963 and 1965, and Documenta, in 1970, 1980 and 1983. He also presented works at the Panorama de Arte Atual Brasileira, at the Sao Paulo Museum of Modern Art (MAM/SP) , on several occasions, between 1969 and 1980, when he was awarded at the 4th Annual Printmaking Exhibition, at the Gravura Museum, Curitiba, Paraná. Between 1947 and 1967, he works in a porcelain factory in Maua, Sao Paulo.